Tuesday 22 January 2008

Workin' Woman

I already love my job. My immediate supervisor has been out ill for the past two days, but I've already been given responsibility over some projects and have gotten a lot of exposure to other people and their jobs. I've reformatted some information to be presented as case studies on the company website and today learned a little html magic to put it all online. This sort of thing is generally not my cup of tea, but I like that I'm learning this kind of stuff. It's become pretty essential in our computer-based world. I've also done some work with promotions and got to call some contest winners today, which was way fun. People get so excited.

There is just so much going on inside the company. It will be impossible not to get a good taste of the ad world after this experience. I'm excited for Lillian, my supervisor, to return and take me under her wing for a bit. I get to sit in on client meetings and do a lot of strategic brainstorming for future projects. I'm really excited to get involved with the strategic planning bit. I think that's the stuff that's right up my ally.

With the internship starting, I've already noticed how quickly the days go. The pace of the office makes time fly, which is refreshing since I feel like I've been here two months already when it's only been two weeks. I also get to work with the other two interns who are in the Mizzou program with me. They are incredibly sweet and fun girls, and I know we're all going to do well at Emap. The three of us treated ourselves to a nice lunch at a French braisserie down the road from us yesterday in celebration of our first day. It was absolutely delicious and another fine example of the great variety of restaurants and cafes you find in an international city like London. I definitely can't afford to eat at these places more than once a week, but it's nice to enjoy them when I can.

Speaking of money, I was very proud of myself for buying two weeks worth of groceries for under $22 last night. Don't worry, it wasn't just peanut butter and bread. I definitely have enough for a good breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Sure it's a lot of pasta and soup (and peanut butter sandwiches), but I've been eating apples and oranges as well. I've also rediscovered my love for a turkey, hummus and pita sandwich. I could eat one every day. It's my quesadilla substitute while I'm gone. And everyone knows how much I love my quesadillas. (I seriously considered bringing my quesadilla maker over with me, but decided I liked clothes more.)

Tomorrow, we're off to Stonehenge and Bath early in the morning. Bath is an ancient Roman bathhouse, hence the appropriate name. I've already seen Stonehenge, but I'm excited to see it again. England has such rich history, and I feel like I'd be cheating myself out of the full experience of studying abroad if I went to all of these museums and sights with an ambivalent attitude.

In full British style, Pam and I are going to watch Pride and Prejudice to cap off our night, if we can drag ourselves away from the breaking news about Heath Ledger's death. Very sad.

I still have some photos to upload and will undoubtedly have some from tomorrow's field trip.

Cheers!

No comments: