Sunday 13 January 2008

Here Comes the Sun

Saturday was our first gorgeous day of sunshine since I've been in London. We took full advantage of it.

I started my day with a brisk walk around the Earl's Court and Old Brompton Rd area, just a couple of blocks around me. It was nice to just have some alone time to think and scout out other pubs and stores I hadn't discovered yet. This was definitely a good way to start my day. What made it better was that upon my return, our repair man came to fix all that was broken in our flat--our refrigerator, microwave, toaster, HEAT, HOT WATER and TV. Despite the fact that I'd already braved an ice cold shower, I was relieved that there would be hot ones to come.

We all got a relaxed, late start to our day. Pam and I wanted new boots. They're quite the fashion statement in London, plus they keep your feet much warmer and dryer than flats during the frequent rainy days. We hit up some great stores on Knightsbridge and walked from there to Hyde Park to enjoy spectacular scenery and a little lunch. It amazes me how green and gorgeous the parks are now. I don't think I'll ever leave them when spring comes around.

We then strolled from Hyde Park toward Trafalgar Square, taking pictures of everything along the way. We stopped at Buckingham again for pictures and we got spectacular views of Westminster in the distace. At Trafalgar, Pam and I hopped in the National Gallery for an hour. This art museum is amazing--there are so many gorgeous oil paintings from the world's most famous artists. You experience history almost more than the art. We only hit up the 1250-1500 AD paintings, but today we're going back for a longer stay. Plus, there's the Russian festival out in front of the Gallery, which is said to be the largest festival of this kind outside of Russia. It should be fun.

We're in the process of planning a trip to Wales this weekend. We found some great bus rates, a wonderful hostel and a castle to tour and dine at for a traditional Olde Welsh supper. All of this is at a great price! This will be a great first vacation while on vacation. It will get me used to the whole hostel experience but not be so far away, pricey or overwhelming. I'll keep you posted on the details as this plan develops.

Sad news: I once again had camera troubles, and all my pictures from yesterday were lost. Yes, during the only sunny day so far. But I'll steal a few from my roommates and get those posted very soon.

I'm thinking about you all back home and hope all is well! Stay tuned for more...

2 comments:

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Hey now! I'm sorry (cause I know that you are having fun), but you have to come home this spring for a certain dum dum da dum. If you know what I mean. One day we'll go to London together and feed the birds at St. Pauls. Seriously I really want to, it's all Mary Poppins fault! I love you very much and I hope that you have tons of fun. Get that camera working girl, there are visual people over here! Much Love!!!!