Tuesday 29 January 2008

My Goals

Once again, I am able to access my blog from my computer. Hooray! So, as I'm riding this wave of good luck, I uploaded some pictures of the Albert Memorial and V&A visits on Sunday.

Has spring sprung in London?


Check out the Albert Memorial on a sunny day! (Sorry if it's on it's side right now...I can't get it to rotate.)


Each corner of the Albert Memorial has a statue that represents the corners of the British Empire at its height. This is for Asia.


This was for Africa.


The Americas.


And Europe.


I thought it might be nice to actually show me in a picture on occasion.


The front entrance to the V&A Museum. It is a gorgeous Victorian building.


The V&A was the first museum where we could actually take pictures inside. There was an incredible sculpture gallery in one of the hallways.


Good ol' Albert.


A beautiful glass chandelier in the front foyer of the V&A. You have to love the juxtaposition of new and old.



The past two days have been fairly quiet as we kind of settle into this work-school routine. Mondays and Tuesdays are definitely the longest days. I go straight from work at 5 to class at Imperial College at 6. Monday's class actually starts at 6:30, allowing us a little time to change out of our work clothes and grab a bite to eat. It is difficult however going from a 6-8 hour workday straight to a 2-3 hour class period. Classes aren't too difficult as long as you pay attention and do the work required. The most difficult aspect is actually remaining attentive/awake during them.

I guess I really haven't explained my classes yet. I am only enrolled in two this semester. My internship accounts for the other 6 credit hours, leaving me with 12 hours total. On Mondays, I have International Issues and Reporting with a professor from Mizzou who is over here for the semester. We basically study the differences between British and American media and try to look at things from a global scale. On Tuesday is our British Life and Culture class, in which we have a new speaker come in to discuss a particular historical or cultural subject with us every week. Then the next day, we go on a fieldtrip pertaining to that subject. Tonight we had a guy come in from the Tate Britain and British Museum and discuss the Golden Age of British Art, and tomorrow we will visit the Tate Britain. Next week we're traveling to Stratford-Upon-Avon and Warwick to get a deeper look into Shakespearian literature. It's pretty interesting stuff. We have to write a weekly paper about our experience for that week, but overall, it's not too bad and I enjoy the class...minus the timing.

In last night's class, we had some Mizzou grads who are now living and working in London come and speak with us about their experiences. It was really cool hearing their stories and what it's like being an American-born actually settling here. One of the girls is a photojournalist and I was particularly inspired by some of the things she has accomplished and what she's setting out to accomplish. She and her husband are going to start a global trek to photograph and report on development projects of indigenous tribes all over the world. It's quite an undertaking, but it was cool hearing about all the places they'll go and their goals in the trip. I know it's kind of corny and cliché, but it made me realize that the now and the next few years is the time in my life to have these horizon-expanding experinces and travel. I can't do stuff like this in a decade when I have kids and a demanding job. So, I created a little list of my goals to accomplish while I'm here:

1. When in London, do as the Londoners do. I love the amazing sightseeing opportunities, but I also want to take time out to hang out at the library or on a park bench just reading, catch a football (yes, I mean soccer) game at local pubs and find a church to attend regularly. For the next few months, I want to make this my home and feel what it's like to be a citizen over here. Right now, I'm just an American looking in. And I know that this won't completely change by the time I leave, but I'd like to have a little more insight and perspective on things than when I arrived.

2. Make British friends. This kind of goes along with #1. I feel like I won't get as much as I could out of the experience if all I interact with is Americans. I am lucky that I get to work alongside Brits, but I'd like to make it a social activity soon. I plan on hitting up some good pub nights at the Imperial College Union and see if I can strike up some relationships with people my age. I just need to get over the awkwardness that I have now and do it.

3. Travel. This is a given. But I don't know when I'll be back here, if ever. I get stressed about the money issue, as I should, but I really don't want to limit myself from seeing some of Europe's most incredible sights because I'm worried I won't be able to eat or drink at a pub the rest of my semester. The truth is, I can make pitas and peanut butter go a long way if it means I get a weekend in Prague or Vienna. I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

These sum it up for now, but I'm sure I'll add to the list as time goes on.

It's a bit late here, so I'm signing off for now. Cheers!

No comments: