Friday 11 January 2008

Learning Londontown

I apologize that I have not uploaded any photos yet. My computer is having issues, so I'm trying to investigate ways to finally get them up there. Don't worry. It will eventually happen.

My second day in London was wonderful. We started out early with a guided bus tour. Our guide, Debra, was extremely witty and full of interesting historical and cultural information about the city. We saw so many sights, from the museums right down the street to St. Paul's Cathedral to the hot shopping districts. We also got to see some of the changing of the guard, though I want to get a closer look next time. It's definitely a huge tourist attraction, but I figure that I'll allow myself a week or two to be a tourist before I truly try to assimilate into London culture.

After the tour we got dropped off at Piccadilly Circus with the instructions to find our own way home. My roommates and I walked around for a bit, exploring the shops and nearby Chinatown before we rode the tube back to Kensington. In Leiscester Square, near Piccadilly, they were just having the Sweeney Todd premier. People were already lined up over seven hours early to camp out and wait for the stars, namely Johnny Depp. Though I was EXTREMELY tempted to join the crowd, the long, cold wait didn't really appeal to me. It was cool though knowing that we have our own little Hollywood just a couple of tube stops away.

Once again, our organized pub crawl was postponed until tonight. A group of us set out on Earl's Court Road, a minute away from us to try our own crawl. It ended up being a fun evening. I got to know a couple of people from my program and sampled the local ales and lagers. I'm glad that I've learned to like beer because it's the cheap way go, especially in a town as expensive as London.

Today has been less sightseeing, more class orientation. It is another gloomy, rainy, chilly day, so I suppose it's a good day to be stuck indoors as opposed to out in the shopping districts or parks. I can't wait for spring though. We're near to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, and they look gorgeous even in the dead of winter. I can't even fathom the beauty the warm weather will bring.

I am heading out to buy a cell phone soon. Hooray! My phone is like my fifth appendage, so I've been hurting without it. I know it's sad and pathetic. My mom is shaking her head and "tsk, tsk"-ing me as she reads this, I'm sure. But it will be nice to have a few minutes to talk to my family and Pete. Nothing really beats hearing an actual human voice when you're this far apart.

Again, I'll work on those pictures for you. And I'll take some new ones, hopefully with some sunshine in a few. If you ever travel to London, bring your umbrella and wellies (boots). You will need them.

Cheers for now!

No comments: