Saturday 26 January 2008

For some unknown but highly predictable reason given my problems with computers, I cannot update my blog from my own laptop. I can however choose any other computer in the world and update it from there. I have no clue how this works. Luckily, I have generous flatmates and a computer in our flat, so this really isn’t a problem. The only problem that does affect you is that I can’t upload pictures. However, I will attach links to my photo albums on Facebook as I go, so feel to always click on those links to see new pictures. Like I’ve said before, even if you are not a Facebook user, you will be able to go straight to the photos. I’m sorry if this causes problems for you all. E-mail me if you still can’t see the photos.

Moving on. Other than the above dilemma, it’s been a great start to the weekend. Yesterday, one of my fellow interns, Sarah, and I were put in charge of purchasing prizes for contest winners. We spent the afternoon in some of the hottest stores in all of London, buying designer brands that we would never be able to afford ourselves. Well, Sarah who’s going in to law, may be able to. But she’s generously offered to buy me something Marc Jacobs or even better, Fendi, when she makes it big. We checked out Selfridges a designer name mecca and shopped up and down Oxford Street. It was a fun afternoon getting to see the shopping that London has to offer. Obviously, my budget doesn’t allow for much of it. But window shopping is always free.

For the second night in the row, I was asked to go to a movie screening. Sarah and I got to view Christina Ricci’s new movie, Penelope. It was incredibly cute. I think it’s out in the states, but I thought it was rent-worthy for the future. The screening was in the middle of Soho, and afterwards, we got a bit lost trying to find the nearest tube. Luckily, Londoners have been more than helpful with directions, especially when they see two confused girls, heads bent over a map.

My roomies and I were all exhausted after our first week at work, so we spent a relaxed evening at the wine bar.

I slept in late today and awoke to yet another sunny day. I think there’s actually been more sun this week than rain. Hopefully this streak lasts a bit longer. Pam and I went down to a local Laundromat and did a load each. It’s a lot more expensive here, so we opted to bring the wet clothes home and drape them over hangers and vents instead of paying for the dryers. I ended up handwashing socks and underwear since I’ll have to wash those pretty frequently. But it feels so good to finally have some clean clothes. After a couple of weeks, you start to feel a little gross. I’m sure you all find infrequent laundry trips kind of gross too. But when you’re a poor student, you have to rely on a lot of Febreeze and handwashing.

Pam and I spent the remainder of our afternoon in Kensington, popping into shops on Kensington High Street and exploring Kensington Gardens. I got some fabulous pictures of Kensington Palace and the Gardens that you can access by clicking here. Once again, the photos hardly do it justice. Pam and I can’t wait to come back when the flowers are in full bloom in a couple of months. Today was still a fabulous day to explore it all though. The sun was shining and it was warm enough that Pam was comfortable even without a coat. We cut across a couple of cute backroads to the Kensington Public Library where we are registered through Imperial College. I’m trying to get in the habit of reading more often so I checked out a book by Philippa Gregory, who’s novel The Other Boleyn Girl is being made into a movie with Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johanson. You get some time to read during your commute on the Tube, so hopefully I’ll get a few books checked off my list while I’m here.

Not really sure what our plans for tonight are. Pam and I might join Sarah and a few others down at a club in Piccadilly for a night of dancing. I’m not a huge club person but I guess while I’m here, I should try to enjoy the nightlife. I’m much more of a laidback pub girl, I’ve decided.

Pete will finally arrive here on Friday morning. He’s staying in a hostel down the road from me for about 5 days before he travels down to Spain for his semester in Pamplona. I’m so excited to give him a tour of what I know of the town. We always have a blast together no matter what we do, so I know we’re going to have an amazing few days. He has demanded that we watch the Superbowl (huge Pats fan), so I know that’s one of the things on our agenda. I can’t wait to see him again.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just have read through all of your posts and it sounds amazing!

Don't worry about the weather, I have friends who have lived in London, it will get better. It is kind of like SF, winter is rainy and sad, but once March/April hits it really lifts your spirits. And you wonder why anyone would live anywhere else.