Wednesday 19 March 2008

A Very Momas Weekend

I'm getting all ready for Easter break in Vienna, Austria and Bratislava, Slovakia. My flight leaves Heathrow at an ungodly hour of the morning, but I'll be able to get a full day in Vienna when I arrive. Pete should be arriviing there shortly today, so he's going to meet me at the airport and we'll start our adventure. But before I start those, I need to get updated on the past week.

As you know, my mom and brother, Thom, came for a weekend. In the trend of simplifying names, I referred to them as "Momas" jokingly. They got in last Thursday morning, and unable to check into their hotel right away, dropped off their bags and met me for lunch at work. Seeing them that first time was so great. It was interesting however, that as we were talking and hanging out together, it was like I never left. Nothing's changed between us at all, not that I necessarily anticipated anything. It just seemed like any other semester when I drop home every few weekends for a visit. Except that, obviously, they were visiting in my current home, which is nothing like Kansas City.

When they arrived totally exhausted and jet-lagged, Denise, one of the intern supervisors, offered to book us a table at Century Club, so I got to treat "Momas" to a nice lunch of salmon appetizers and pork entrees, and they got to see why I always rave about the place. My boss, Lillian, met up with us a bit later and we had a really nice talk. My mom and brother absolutely loved Lillian and understand why I always talk about her and hold her in such high regard. London would not be the same if I didn't work for her.

After lunch, we headed back to Earls Court area so they could check in and take a quick nap. We enjoyed some pints and "pub grub" for dinner. Thom enjoyed a good steak and ale pie and I tried the shepperds pie (made of lamb). We both really liked the pies, but mine didn't come with that great pie crust outer layer, so I was determined to get another one in the near future. Thom and I went out for some more pints afterwards so he could enjoy the whole buying-alcohol-legally experience, but overall, we called it an early night, and prepared for our big day on Friday.

I once again lead a "death march" through the city on Friday. Our first stop, by Thom's request, was the Tower of London, renowned for all it's royal history and especially bloody history as it was used most as a prison. We went on a great guided tour by a Yeoman Warder, who actually lives within the Tower with his family. He was so funny and gave us some great stories that we would have missed otherwise.

Us with some of the Yeoman Warders, also what we may call "Beefeaters."


Our guide and big tour group.


Thom in front of the White Tower, the central part of the whole Tower of London complex. It's a really fortified area. You can tell why it's been around since the 1200s.

After the Tower, we enjoyed lunch and a stroll on the Tower Bridge, which most people mistake and call the London Bridge. No, the London Bridge is not so pretty. In fact, the original London Bridge now is in Arizona, as the man who bought it thought he was getting the pretty Tower Bridge. I'm sure he was disappointed.

Mom and Thom in front of the famous Tower Bridge.

We then walked over to St. Paul's Cathedral, where Mom proceeded to feed the birds with some leftover bread scraps of her lunch, which was one of her goals in life. I was very happy for her. She actually has most of the pictures from the trip, including these. Hopefully I can obtain them and upload them for you to see. It was actually really cute. The pigeons loved her.

Inside St. Paul's we saw all the sights and climbed the 430-something stairs to the top of the dome, looking out over London. Mom was proud of herself for completing that climb. Even I was worn out, so I would be proud too. I then treated them to a celebratory pint and chips (fries, remember) at my favorite English pub, Ye Olde Chesire Cheese. I think they liked it just as much as I do.

We were to meet my Uncle Dan and new aunt, Ellen, at the National Gallery at 4, so we hurried over there. All together, we spent a bit at the museum, looking at key paintings I pointed out. We then traveled to a nearby pub for a pint before heading to Porter's English Restaurant in nearby Covent Garden for our actual dinner. We had a great night together, and I absolutely love Ellen. I honestly felt like I'd known her longer than just a couple of hours. She is so friendly and has great stories, much like Dan. They both seem so happy, which is all one can ask for. I also achieved my goal of having a real chicken pie, pie crust and all. It was absolutely delicious. British food like pies and fish and chips are pretty heavy and not very healthy, but when you're in the mood for it, it totally hits the spot.


Ellen, me, Thom and Mom in Piccadilly Circus before we parted ways.

To top up our long day, I took Thom and Mom on a walking tour across a Thames River bridge and down to the Westminster area. The night lights of the city on the Thames are gorgeous, as you might recall from the night Pete and I walked across the Waterloo Bridge when he visited. Mom and Thom were troopers and stuck it out despite the long day.

Saturday I took Mom and Thom on a stroll up to Kensington Garden, via the route I take to class. Mom loved all the parks and flowers on the way. Thom is always a good sport when we start ooo-ing and aww-ing over all the "pretty flowers." I then gave them an abbreviated tour of nearby Imperial College, just to show them where I actually study during my study abroad experience. We then traversed over to Westminster Abbey, one of my favorite sights of London still. It was just as breathtaking and awe inspiring the second go around. I think they enjoyed it too. It's kind of like a movie star spotting-being so close to some of history's most famous individuals...well, with the exception that they are dead. Kind of morbid, I guess.

Our last major stop was the Imperial War Museum, one of the best museums I've ever been to. We explored the WWI and WWII exhibits and walked through a WWI trench that was designed to look and smell like the real thing. But my favorite part was the Holocaust exhibit. It was honestly one of the most moving and chilling things I’ve ever seen. I’ve grown up seeing images of the Holocaust, but never have I seen images so graphic and heard stories so heartwrenching. Mom and I cried for a bit as a result. I’d recommend it to anyone. It’s something that needs to be seen and understood by all.

Pam joined us for our last meal together was at none other than Hard Rock Café. Yes, a little pathetic to go for the American food, especially for Mom and Thom, but Pam and I kind of miss things like chicken fingers and quesadillas, in my case. Afterwards, I showed Mom and Thom the local wine bar I frequent, and later, Thom, Pam and I went out for a couple of drinks at another pub.

They left early Sunday morning, and I was a little sad seeing them go. I could have used another couple of days with them, not just to see the sights, but just to spend time together. A couple of years ago, I would not have just said those words at all, but it’s interesting how the time apart in college makes you enjoy your family a little more. Plus, the immenent reality of moving out and on with life in a little over a year makes me want to really enjoy the family time I do get with them. I wish Dad and John could have made it over, but I’m looking forward to seeing them when I get back. I’m trying to get some good souvenirs for them to help compensate.

I guess I’ll briefly touch on the other parts of the week. Monday was St. Patty’s Day! Hooray! I had the Irish music playing, the green on, and all that other overly cheesy stuff that the Irish do, and headed down the street with Pam to O’Neill’s pub. I had far too many Guinesses, but if there’s one day to go all out in that respect, this was it. We also picked up some cool hats while we were there! My flatmates, Alex and Steph, went to Dublin for the weekend, so my experience has nothing on theirs, however, it was a good celebratory evening.


Me, Pam and some random. Check out our cool Guiness/Shamrock hats!

Today’s class trip was to Houses of Parliament, which was kind of a surreal experience, somewhat similar to going to the White House, I guess. Except that Parliament is way prettier and has many more centuries of history. Each room was lavishly decorated in a neogothic style with gilded gold everywhere. We saw where the Queen processed in and sat during the House of Lords meetings. Unfortunately, photography was not permitted inside, so the best I’ll be able to give you when I upload the photos is the pretty recognizable exterior. I learned quite a bit about the British political system that I did not know before. For instance, the House of Lords (the other branch being the House of Commons) is comprised of unelected members, with individuals often inheriting rights into the House. The Prime Minister is the majority party leader in the House of Commons, which is set up to be more representative of the British population. However, he also, is somewhat of an unelected figure in this process. I was shocked by these two particular differences, having such an emphasis on elected officials in the United States. Definitely read up on it sometime if you’re interested. It’s pretty fascinating stuff.

I think that about wraps it up for now, but I will be sure to keep you updated on my Easter break trip as soon as I return. I'll let you know how my attempts at German and Slavic go. I'm a little nervous.

Check out pictures of Momas weekend, St. Pat’s and other randoms at this link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37953395&l=67b29&id=15921830

Happy Easter!

No comments: